According to statistics from the Illinois Department of Transportation, there were 978 fatal car crashes in 2017 and an additional 930 fatalities in the first 11 months of 2018.
IDOT officials say the fatality data is provisional and is based on information submitted to IDOT for fatal motor vehicle related crashes occurring on Illinois public roadways. Fatalities include drivers, passengers as well as pedestrians and pedal cyclists.
There are many causes of car accidents in Illinois. Some of those causes include ice and snow laden roadways, speeding, drunk drivers, and most commonly, distracted driving. Distracted driving results in a vehicle leaving their lane of travel and migrating into oncoming traffic. Anything that takes your attention away from driving can be a distraction. Sending a text message, talking on a cell phone, using a navigation system, or eating while driving can all result in a distracted driver accident.
Despite taking all the precautions to avoid car accidents, they do happen. If you are involved in an accident follow these common sense instructions:
- If it is safe to exit your vehicle and you are physically able to do so, do it;
- If anyone needs emergent medical care, call 911 immediately;
- Be sure to fill out an official police report and exchange contact information and insurance companies and policy numbers with all other parties involved in the accident;
- Take photos of the vehicles involved in the accident;
- Obtain contact information for any witnesses to the accident;
- Advise your insurance carrier of the accident;
- Follow up with the appropriate medical care needed for your injuries; and lastly,
- Call a personal injury attorney for a free consultation about the possibility of filing a personal injury claim.
If you have been injured in a car accident, contact Holman & Stefanowicz, LLC at 312-258-9700 to discuss your case with a partner at our firm. We can help determine whether you have a personal injury claim, who the negligent party is and what insurance coverage is available to cover your potential claim. Remember, in Illinois, the statute of limitations for personal injury claims is two years from the date of your accident. With more than 50 years of experience, let Holman & Stefanowicz, LLC handle your auto accident claim.
The contents of this website consist of advertising and promotional materials Holman & Stefanowicz, LLC, does not represent and cannot promise that it can obtain the same results as reported in cases on this brochure in other legal matters This information provided in this website is not intended to be a source of solicitation or legal advice nor should it be the basis of a legal-hiring decision Thus, the readers should not rely on information and definitions provided herein for legal advice of any kind, and should always seek the advice of competent counsel. The information in this website is drawn from general firm information and each individual attorney's background. The information contained herein is intended, but not promised or guaranteed, to be correct, complete, or up-to-date.